We admit students for fall and spring semesters.
Fall application deadlines: January 15th (for funding priority and international applications) and April 1st (for domestic applications).
Spring application deadlines: October 1st (international applications) and November 15th (for domestic applications).
Admission to the graduate program in Latin American & Caribbean Studies requires a Bachelor's degree, preferably in one of the social sciences or humanities, and language proficiency in either Spanish or Portuguese as demonstrated by completion of a fourth-semester course or the equivalent.
Applicants whose grade point average is below 3.0 on a 4.0 scale will not be admitted to the degree program. However, a student with less than a 3.0 GPA may be admitted on a probationary or provisional status at the discretion of the departmental Graduate Committee.
- Completion of the Graduate Application Form found on the KU Graduate Studies web page. The application fees are as follows: $65 for domestic applicants, $85 for international applicants
- A statement of interest explaining your background and interest in pursuing the MA degree in Latin American & Caribbean Studies
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from professors familiar with your academic work. (The Graduate Letter of Recommendation Form must accompany each letter, and is included as part of the online Graduate Application Form)
- Copy of current resume
- Writing sample in English, 10-20 pages
- Domestic students: Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (KU's GRE code: 6871)
- English Proficiency: If an applicant is not a native speaker of English, they must verify their English proficiency. Please see Graduate Admissions' English Proficiency Requirements for Official TOEFL or IELTS scores (International applicants are not required to take the GRE)
- One official transcript for all post-secondary education sent via mail or electronically: firstname.lastname@example.org OR Graduate Admissions, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd., Strong Hall 313, Lawrence, KS 66045
Applicants may submit their application, application fee, statement of interest, and resume through the application link above. GRE scores and TOEFL scores should be sent directly to KU using institution code 6871. Digital copies of transcripts may be emailed directly from the degree-granting institution to email@example.com. Official transcripts can also be mailed to the address below:
University of Kansas, Graduate Admissions
1450 Jayhawk Boulevard
Strong Hall, 313
Lawrence, KS 66045
If you'd like to learn more about the Master of Arts in Latin American and Caribbean Studies or have questions about admissions requirements, please contact our Graduate Advisor, Desirée Neyens at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information regarding the application process, visit KU’s Graduate Studies page on How to Apply.