Give to the Program
Dear Colleagues and Friends of the Center,
We are proud of the efforts and contributions made by the students, faculty, staff, campus units, and community organizations responsible for everything that you see on this website. We hope you are, too!
The Center’s mission is to:
- Be a leading research center linking faculty, students, and the community from across Kansas, the country, and the world in the interdisciplinary study of the histories, cultures, and societies of Latin America and the Caribbean;
- Serve as the best resource in our region and a model in the country for excellence in research, education and outreach;
- Advance knowledge and seek solutions to pressing questions related to Latin America and the Caribbean;
- Position the region in a global conversation and promote multiculturalism on campus and in our community;
- Provide an environment for learning and working where differences are valued and each person is supported and offered an equitable opportunity to achieve their academic and professional goals.
As we continue to strive toward those goals, we ask you to keep us in mind for donations. Much of what you have read is the direct result of gifts made by colleagues and friends of the Center. In other words, YOU help us to succeed in our mission. Your gift will assist the Center to maintain its academic prominence, better prepare its students, and initiate and expand research and training programs on a broad range of themes.
Here is how your gift to the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies can positively impact our mission:
- $100 funds educational resources for outreach to the public, regional K-12 schools, community colleges, and local organizations
- $200 funds public programs such as conferences, lectures, exhibits, and performances
- $300 funds in-country travel for a graduate student’s field work in Latin America or the Caribbean, or technology such as a digital recorder or camera for field work
- $500 funds an undergraduate scholarship to study abroad in Latin America or the Caribbean
- $1000 funds airfare for a graduate student to Latin America or the Caribbean to conduct research, or transcription and translation services for a graduate student’s ethnographic field work
- $1,300 funds room-and-board for a 4-5 week trip for a graduate student to do research or learn an indigenous language in Latin America and the Caribbean
In addition, please consider giving to the following general and award funds:
- Unrestricted gifts to the Latin American and Caribbean Studies Contingency Fund allow the Center to support all the activities for which State funding may be limited or not be used and to respond to special needs and opportunities.
- Initially endowed by Professor Emeritus Charles Stansifer, the Stansifer Fund awards support to graduate students planning to complete a doctorate in the study of Middle America (defined as Central America, Mexico, and the Caribbean). Fellowships are granted on a competitive basis.
- The Anita Herzfeld Study Abroad Award for Latin America Fund was created to honor Professor Emerita Anita Herzfeld’s decades of service to the Center. It supports study abroad grants for undergraduate students. This purpose reflects her longstanding dedication to undergraduate education.
Support at all levels–from small annual gifts to the creation of endowed funds–is needed and welcome. If you would like to contribute to CLACS to fund a specific aspect of our mission, please designate in your gift (e.g. “student travel”).
Thank you for your continued support,
Brent Metz, Interim Director